Email MeDeborah F. Maury
Deborah F. Maury is an attorney at law and a Board Certified Social Security Specialist.
Deborah Maury attended The University of Delaware, graduating magna cum laude in 1972. She graduated from The University of Maryland School of Law in 1975. She is admitted to the bars of North Carolina and Maryland, having practiced in North Carolina since 1982. She is admitted to practice before the United States Court, Middle District of North Carolina, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and North Carolina state courts.
Since the mid-1980's Deborah has maintained a private practice emphasizing Social Security disability law. She has represented claimants at all administrative levels and in the federal court system. She belongs to the National Organization of Social Security Representatives and the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ), Disability Advocacy Section. She is a charter and continuing member of the North Carolina State Bar Social Security Specialization Section, and was Chairman of the Appeals Committee in 2007. She is a former Membership Director of the Social Security Section of the Academy of Trial Lawyers (now NCAJ). She has given presentations on topics related to Social Security law to various legal and non-legal groups throughout her time in practice.
Deborah is married to Michael Curtis, a professor of law at Wake Forest School of Law. Their son, Matthew Curtis-Maury, received a Ph.D. from Virginia Tech in 2007, and is currently employed with NetApp in Raleigh as a computer engineer. New daughter-in-law Jennifer (Hines) Curtis-Maury, met Matthew in the William & Mary M.A. program in computer science. Deborah's interests include horseback riding and reading.
Areas of Practice
- Social Security -- Disability
- Disability Programs
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Social Security Specialist, North Carolina Board
- Member of the Charter North Carolina Bar Specialization Committee
- Maryland, 1975
- North Carolina, 1982
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1988
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- J.D. - 1975
- The University of Delaware
- B.A.magna cum laude - 1972
- Social Security Law, Attends a 3 Day NOSSCR Training Session Annually
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ), Member of the Social Security Section
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR)